Android 12 is now official in the industry and ready to land on a number of smartphones marketed by several OEMs, while we’re here to discuss the Samsung Galaxy One UI 4.0 update.
While there’s no roadmap available regarding the most anticipated upgrade, we are trying to bring the best possible info about the topic to our readers having Samsung Galaxy.
Although almost all the Galaxy devices have received the Android 11-based One UI 3.x update last year, the company has shifted its focus on Android 12-based One UI 4.0 update rollout for non-flagship Galaxy devices.
In late August, Samsung finally released the official banner citing that the Android 12-based One UI 4 is now accessible for the Galaxy S21 series smartphone users in the US, South Korea, India, Germany, Poland, the UK and China, exclusively on Beta channel.
However, it’s officially confirmed by Samsung and Google that the stable Android 12 update for Galaxies coming later this year.
If you are planning to purchase a Galaxy S21, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy S10, Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy S9, Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy S8 or another Samsung device, this roadmap will take you through what you should know about Android 12.
Also, we will cover everything about Samsung’s Android 12-based One UI 4.0 features, release date, Beta and a lot more.
In order to maintain a proper and authentic Samsung Android 12 update tracker, we are beginning with the latest software updates releasing alongside One UI 4.0 update to the Galaxy devices.
To be mentioned, most of these updates are based on Android 10/11-based One UI 2.x/3.x and Android 12-based One UI 4 software system.
Released back in January 2021, the One UI 3.1 version based on Google’s Android 11 has already reached around all the Samsung devices, plus, the company has also delivered the One UI 3.1.1 for select models (but you don’t find One UI 3.1.1 marking even after upgrading), which was released alongside the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3 a few months ago.
Samsung Galaxy January 2022 Update
On December 30, Samsung released its January 2022 security patch, while it’s now expanding to more Galaxies.
At the company’s official security updates website, you can reach about the fixes and changes of the December 2021 security update. Also, we are mentioning the most up-to-date Android/One UI security bulletin below, followed by eligible devices for Samsung’s monthly, quarterly and half-yearly software updates.
Eligible for monthly updates
- Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Fold 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 2, Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Flip 5G, Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G
- Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10 5G, Galaxy S10 Lite
- Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20+, Galaxy S20+ 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 FE, Galaxy S20 FE 5G,
- Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy S21+ 5G, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy Note 10 5G, Galaxy Note 10+, Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Galaxy Note 10 Lite, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Note 20 5G,
- Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A52, Galaxy A52 5G, Galaxy A52s 5G
- Enterprise Models: Galaxy A50, Galaxy XCover4s, Galaxy Xcover FieldPro, Galaxy Xcover Pro, Galaxy Xcover5
Eligible for “Quarterly” updates
- Galaxy S8 Active, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+
- Galaxy Note 9
- Galaxy A40
- Galaxy A01, Galaxy A01 Core, Galaxy A11, Galaxy A21, Galaxy A21s, Galaxy A31, Galaxy A41, Galaxy A51, Galaxy A51 5G, Galaxy A71, Galaxy A71 5G
- Galaxy A02, Galaxy A02s, Galaxy A03s, Galaxy A12, Galaxy A22, Galaxy A22 5G, Galaxy A32, Galaxy A32 5G, Galaxy A42 5G, Galaxy A72, Galaxy A82 5G
- Galaxy M01, Galaxy M11, Galaxy M21, Galaxy M21 2021, Galaxy M31, Galaxy M31s, Galaxy M51, Galaxy M12, Galaxy M22, Galaxy M32,
- Galaxy M42 5G, Galaxy M52 5G, Galaxy M62
- Galaxy F12, Galaxy F22, Galaxy F42 5G, Galaxy F52 5G, Galaxy F62
- Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020), Galaxy Tab A7, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, Galaxy Tab Active2, Galaxy Tab Active Pro, Galaxy Tab Active3
- Galaxy Tab S6 5G, Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S7+, Galaxy Tab S7 FE
- W20 5G, W21 5G
- Enterprise Models: Galaxy A8 (2018)
Eligible for “Biannual” updates
- Galaxy A6, Galaxy A6+, Galaxy A7 (2018), Galaxy A8+ (2018), Galaxy A8 Star, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9 (2018)
- Galaxy A10, Galaxy A10e, Galaxy A10s, Galaxy A20e, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A90 5G
- Galaxy A20s, Galaxy A30s, Galaxy A50s, Galaxy A70s
- Galaxy J2 Core, Galaxy J3 Top, Galaxy J4, Galaxy J4+, Galaxy J6, Galaxy J6+, Galaxy J7 Duo, Galaxy J7 Prime2, Galaxy J7 Top, Galaxy J8
- Galaxy M10, Galaxy M10s, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30, Galaxy M30s, Galaxy M40
- Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018), Galaxy Tab A 8 (2019), Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), Galaxy Tab A with S pen
- Galaxy Tab S4, Galaxy Tab S5e, Galaxy Tab S6
January 2022 Security Patch Contents
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Eligible Devices
Galaxy S Series: Galaxy S21 5G | Galaxy S21+ 5G | Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G | Galaxy S20 | Galaxy S20 5G | Galaxy S20 5G UW | Galaxy S20+ | Galaxy S20+ 5G | Galaxy S20 Ultra | Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G | Galaxy S20 FE | Galaxy S20 FE 5G | Galaxy S20 FE 5G UW | Galaxy S10 5G | Galaxy S10+ | Galaxy S10 | Galaxy S10e | Galaxy S10 Lite
Galaxy Note Series: Galaxy Note 20 | Galaxy Note 20 5G | Galaxy Note 20 Ultra | Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G | Galaxy Note 10+ | Galaxy Note 1 5G | Galaxy Note 10 | Galaxy Note 10 5G | Galaxy Note 10 Lite
Galaxy Z Series: Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G | Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G | Galaxy Z Fold 2 | Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G | Galaxy Z Flip | Galaxy Z Flip 5G | Galaxy Fold | Galaxy Fold 5G
Galaxy A Series: Galaxy A71 5G | Galaxy A71 | Galaxy A51 5G | Galaxy A51 | Galaxy A90 5G | Galaxy A32 5G | Galaxy A32 4G | Galaxy A52 | Galaxy A52 5G | Galaxy A72 | Galaxy A22 | Galaxy A22 5G | Galaxy A03s | Galaxy A52s | Galaxy A21 Simple (Japan)
Galaxy M Series: Galaxy M12 | Galaxy M62 | Galaxy M42 5G | Galaxy M32 | Galaxy M22
Galaxy F Series: Galaxy F41 | Galaxy F62 | Galaxy F12 | Galaxy F52 5G | Galaxy F22
Galaxy Tab Series: Galaxy Tab S7 | Galaxy Tab S7 5G | Galaxy Tab S7+ | Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G | Galaxy Tab S6 Lite | Galaxy Tab S6 5G | Galaxy Tab S6 | Galaxy Tab Active 3 | Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G | Galaxy Tab A7 Lite
Galaxy XCover Series: Galaxy XCover 5 | Galaxy XCover Pro
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0: Features (Changelog)
- Both the design and function of the home screen widget have been improved so that you can easily access more information, and you can also get recommended widgets that are useful to you.
- You can easily change audio output devices such as headphones and speakers on the lock screen, and control functions are provided according to the music app you are using.
- A voice recording widget is provided on the lock screen, so you can record your voice without unlocking your phone.
- A monthly calendar is displayed in the calendar widget so that you can check important events on the lock screen.
Always On Display
- You can set the Always On Display to turn on whenever you receive a notification.
- New animated stickers are available.
Quick Settings Window
- To make it easier to view notifications, the layout (of individual notifications) has been improved, and sound notifications and silent notifications have been combined into one section.
- The brightness adjustment bar in the quick settings window is enlarged, so you can easily adjust the screen brightness.
- Backgrounds, icons and illustrations are automatically dimmed to keep the overall consistency and eye comfort.
- When charging is started, different charging effects are visually provided depending on the power, allowing you to intuitively check the difference in charging speed.
- Conveniently enter emojis, GIFs, and stickers with the press of a button on your keyboard.
- You can combine 2 emojis and add animation effects to express your emotions or feelings more richly.
- Animated stickers are provided to make the conversation more enjoyable.
- Added ability to check spelling and grammar when writing English (provided by Grammarly).
- When you open the Tips app, you can see a preview video that briefly explains the Galaxy features, so you can check the various features of your Galaxy at a glance.
- Customize the apps that appear when you open the Share panel, swipe left or right to quickly switch between the list of apps and the list of people you want to share with.
- Added an easy fix when sharing photos that are out of focus or out of frame.
The layout of the camera screen has been streamlined so that you can enjoy shooting moments even more, and improved to display only essential information for shooting. The scene-by-scene optimization feature of Photo mode is retained, but the button is only visible at night or when scanning documents, and settings for Portrait and Night mode have been improved to be more intuitive.
- Lens & Zoom: The lens button icon has been changed to a magnification indicator to clearly show the current zoom magnification, and a “1x” button is displayed for modes that only support wide lenses, allowing you to easily zoom in and out of the screen.
- Recording a video without missing the desired moment: Unlike the conventional method, where you have to press the button and release your finger to start recording, video recording starts immediately when you press the button, so you can capture all of your precious moments without missing them. In photo mode, press and hold the button to start video recording, then drag in the direction of the lock icon to continue recording even if you release your finger from the button.
- Single Take: An additional shooting time function is provided to capture precious moments longer, and the shooting option setting menu has been improved more intuitively, making it easier to select the desired content.
- Pro/Pro video: By grouping various manual setting items with similar functions, the design is more concise, and when the vertical/horizontal guides are turned on, a level is displayed to prevent the screen from tilting during shooting.
- Improved scanning function: A magnifying glass is provided for fine editing after scanning a document, and when scanning a QR code, the user can select and execute the desired option according to the type of QR code.
- A preview of the video is displayed on the story cover, you can play the highlight video by tapping the preview, and you can see on a map where the photos of the story were taken.
- Various options have been added to make sorting albums with many photos more convenient.
- When you open an album, the album cover is displayed at the top of the screen.
- Suggested search terms have been improved to make it easier to find photos and videos, and recent searches are also included.
- Remastered photos can be reverted back to the original at any time, even after saving.
- You can edit the date, time, and location of photos and videos.
- Add fun emojis and stickers to your photos and videos.
- You can create a video collage by selecting various images and videos from the gallery.
- A light balance option has been added that allows you to adjust the contrast, shadow, and emphasis of a photo like natural light.
- The editor function has been improved to make it easier to control the highlight video.
- You can easily return the edited video to the original at any time, even after saving.
- A function has been added that allows you to cut out any part of a photo, such as a face, pet, or building, and paste it on another photo.
- You can use AR Emoji as a profile for your contacts and Samsung account. You can choose from over 10 poses or even take your own funny look.
- Added a new AR Emoji sticker that only shows your face. Decorate your photos with new AR Emoji stickers and share them with your friends.
- You can create a fun video of AR Emoji dancing. You can quickly find and select a template you want with hashtags such as #Hunjam, #Cutie, #Party, etc.
- You can create AR Emoji’s clothes by drawing them yourself.
- Pin the window options menu to the top of the pop-up window and make it easy to use when you need it.
- You can easily enlarge or reduce the picture-in-picture (PIP) window with your finger.
- The design has been changed so that the screen in use is not blurred when the Edge panel is opened.
- Added safety and emergency menus to manage emergency contacts and safety information in one place.
- The search function has been improved so that you can find the settings you want right away when you need them, and related functions can also be recommended depending on the search term.
- We’ve added a driving monitor to help you focus more on driving, so you can see how much you’ve been using your phone and which apps you’ve been using while driving.
- The background color of the dual clock widget is changed according to the day and night according to the set time zone of the city.
- Add events faster in the Quick Add area, and the search functionality and layout have been improved to make it easier to find events.
- Today’s events and monthly calendars are displayed on the home screen widget.
- You can create a shared calendar and invite other Galaxy users.
- You can view a variety of content, including photos, videos, and web links, directly from the search results of the Messages app.
- The search function has been improved so that you can find the file you are looking for even if you misspell some of your search terms.
- The Recent Files area has been enlarged to make it easier to find recently used files.
- The design has been improved to make it easier to check real-time search results or search suggestions while entering a search term in the address bar.
- A search widget is provided to search for what you want right from the home screen.
- If you have previously used secret mode, Samsung Internet will automatically run in secret mode the next time to protect your personal information.
- Improved app compatibility, allowing more app screen resizing.
- You can set the touchpad scroll direction in DeX settings as you like.
- The main screen shows battery and security issues so you can quickly identify and fix them.
- The overall status of your phone is displayed as an emoji for easy identification.
- You can run the self-diagnosis function of Samsung Members directly from Device Care. When you run a self-diagnosis when your phone is having problems, you can quickly determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
- The tab layout at the bottom of the screen has been improved to make it easier to use the functions you want.
- View your profile, weekly breakdowns, badges and highscores in the My Page tab.
- When selecting gender, you can select “Other” or “None”.
- You can invite friends to a team match by sending a link.
- More snacks to choose from on the food tracker.
- Routines can be started under more different conditions, such as during a call or when a specific notification arrives.
- More ways to connect and disconnect Bluetooth devices, as well as perform more complex tasks with routines, such as optional battery settings for increased speed.
- In the edit page, you can change the order by long-pressing the action, and an advanced option has been added to either wait for a certain amount of time before starting the action, or to let the user confirm it.
- Eliminate the limitations of condition and action combinations, allowing routines to do more.
- You can use images from your camera or gallery to create custom icons to use in your routine.
- Move the mouse pointer to a corner of the screen to directly perform a specific action.
- You can adjust the screen contrast and size at the same time in screen modes such as high contrast and large screen.
- Quick access to accessibility features at any time by selecting the floating button.
- You can select various screen options according to your needs, such as reducing transparency and blur, or making the screen darker.
- Notifications can be colored differently for each app so you can quickly see which app sent the notification.
- The Magnifier window has been integrated into the Zoom menu, allowing you to zoom in on screen content in more ways.
- You can check at a glance which apps are using sensitive permissions such as your location information, camera, and microphone from the permission usage status, and you can immediately revoke permissions for any app that is a little insecure.
- When an app uses the camera or microphone, a green dot is displayed on the right side of the status bar, so you can immediately know which app is shooting or recording without your consent. You can temporarily block camera and microphone permissions for all apps in the quick settings window.
- You can manage apps that use location information more precisely. For apps that don’t require your exact location, such as a weather app, you can use the service by sharing your approximate location.
- You can set to send a notification when other apps access important information such as passwords and credit card numbers when copied to the clipboard.
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4 Beta
November 28 | Galaxy Z Fold 3 gets One UI 4 Beta 3 in the US
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 Beta participants started grabbing a new One UI 4 update in the US, which also included the latest December 2021 security patch. You can see all the latest update contents below, to be mentioned, the update had already released in India and South Korea.
- Fixed the issue that the brightness of the screen changes to the lowest when booting
- Fixed the issue of remaining image on the left side of the screen, when moving to Home by pressing the Home button
- Fixed the issues that operate at 60Hz when opening main screen
- Fixed sluggish issues when using unfolding after using cover screen
- Fixed the issues that do not vibrate when notifications occur in some apps
- Fixed the issues that remain separate lines after closing the open with split screen
November 25 | Galaxy S20/Note 20 series gets One UI 4 Beta 2
Samsung’s last year’s Galaxy S and Note flagship lineups are now receiving the second One UI 4 Beta-based software update, which brings December 2021 security patch, fixes for some major issues and system performance improvements.
- Fixed errors that don’t work at adaptive refresh 120Hz
- Fixed Quick share icon errors
- Fixed errors that don’t work at Samsung’s Clear View Display Cover
- Improved the operations of phone frame rate
- Improved operations while searching in messages app
November 10 | Galaxy S20, Note 20 join One UI 4 Beta
After the Galaxy S21 series, Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3, the Korean tech giant expanded the One UI 4 Beta program based on Android 12 for the Galaxy S20 and Galaxy Note 20 flagship smartphones in the US, India and UK. At the same time, Samsung released the first Beta build to the participants.
November 05 | Galaxy Z Fold 3, Flip 3 join One UI 4 Beta
Samsung announced Android 12-based One UI 4.0 Beta program for the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3 devices in South Korea, the US and India.
November 02 | Beta 4, Tons of bug fixes for Galaxy S21 series
- Delete stretch effect when overscrolling
- Removed pop-up allowing notification when first running the app
- Stuttering when setting WQHD
- Frame drops when the alarm goes off
- WIFI, hotspot not turned on under certain circumstances
- Screen dims when unlocked
- Two Call Logs are created each time you send or receive a call.
- Fingerprint recognition does not work after intermittently rebooting
- Under certain circumstances, nearby WIFI APs cannot be searched
- Rebooted during voice calls
- Keypad closed
- ONEUI Home when exiting by closing all recent apps
- Rebooted after force shutdown
- Fixed other minor issues
October 20 | Beta 3, November 2021 security patch released for Galaxy S21 series
- Fixed an issue where only some menus were partially untranslated right after the porta update
- Google AOSP reflected (Google final release was reflected)
- Overscroll effect changed from existing glow to stretch form (Android 12 changed)
- Voice command in the camera Misrecognition improvement
- Pet lighting effect applied
- Color theme function stabilization
- Keyboard shortcut issue fixed
- Calling/texting on other devices fixed
- Bixby not being called on the lock screen
- Fixed system UI forced shutdown
- Many others Apply improvements
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0: Release Date
Samsung officially released the One UI 4.0 update based on Android 12 for the Galaxy S21 series users with various new features. Along with that, the Korean company also said that the major update coming very soon for the Galaxy S20, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy S10 and other eligible devices.
On December 29, 30 and 31, Samsung upgraded all of its flagship Galaxy devices including newer and older to the Android 12 One UI 4.0. The upgraded device list includes:
- Galaxy S21 series
- Galaxy Z Fold/Flip 3
- Galaxy Z Flip LTE/5G
- Galaxy Fold/Fold 2
- Galaxy Note 20 series
- Galaxy S20 series
- Galaxy Note 10 series
- Galaxy S10 series
- Galaxy Tab S7 series
[Notice] Samsung One UI 4.0 Android 12 Update Roadmap